Saturday, March 8, 2008

The Defense Rests

A couple of nights ago, my hubby and I were getting ready to go to sleep but somehow still felt a little wound up from the day. Just for the fun of it, we started launching into a few Beatles tunes, singing in two-part harmony. What a blast! Until we heard a *thump thump thump* coming from somewhere in the apartment. We couldn't tell what it was or exactly where it was coming from, but it kind of broke the flow of things and, realizing it was after midnight, we ended up making an extra effort to get to sleep, which was ultimately successful.

The next morning as I was leaving the building for work, our downstairs neighbor greeted me in the hall, which I reciprocated. Just as I was halfway out the door, he added, "Sorry to knock on the ceiling last night, but the Beatles were keeping us up." I was mortified! The walls in our apartment are so thick we can barely hear each other in the next room, so this was surprising news. What else could they hear??? "I'm so sorry," I said sheepishly. "I really apolgoize." I felt terrible about it, but the mischievous part of me was also amused as heck at the same time. I figured I would slip a card under their door the next day to hopefully make amends, and that we'd keep a better eye on our volume level (and the time!) in the future.

My hubby and I never thought we would be the "bad" neighbors! But this is just one more argument for getting a house -- it seems to be in the best interests of others around us as well as our own. :-)

1 comment:

Martymom said...

THat may just be the best argument for home ownership I have heard, as singing Beatles songs with your husband is a great way to hold your marriage together. Papa and I sing together all the time. This morning since neither of us could remember the lyrics to Leonard Cohen's "Glory Hallelujah" song, we were making up lyrics which was wonderful. Vive la chanson!